Awards & Fellowships
- Center for University Education Scholarship (CUES) Distinguished Fellowship, Univeristy of Arizona (2022-2026)
- Ted and Shirley Taubeneck Superior Teaching Award, University of Arizona (2021)
- Early Career Scholars Award, University of Arizona (2020).
- Visiting Research Fellow at Käte Hamburger Kolleg at Ruhr Universität-Bochum in Germany (2016-2017).
University of Arizona Committee Service (current only)
- Faculty Senate, at-large member
- Committee of Eleven, member
- Strategic Planning and Budget Advisory Committee (SPBAC), member
- General Petitions Committee, co-chair
- Undergraduate Council, member
- UAGC Integration Academic Working Group, lead
- Faculty Senate Executive Committee, member
- Open Access Task Force, member
- Annual Review/Pay Equity Faculty Task Force, member
- Singing the Goddess into Place: Locality, Myth, and Social Change in Chamundi of the Hill, a Kannada Folk Ballad. Albany, NY: SUNY Press, 2022.
- Devotional Sovereignty: Kingship and Religion in India. New York: Oxford University Press, 2020.
- The Great Mysore Bhāgavata: Complete Study of a Manuscript from the Binney Collection in the San Diego Museum of Art. Brijender Goswamy with Robert J. Del Bontà and Caleb Simmons. San Diego: San Diego Musuem of Art, 2019.
- Nine Nights of the Goddess: The Navarātri Festival in South Asia. co-edited with Moumita Sen and Hillary Rodrigues. Albany, NY: SUNY Press, 2018.
Articles and Chapters
- “The Cost of High Production Quality: A Preliminary Discussion of the Value of Production in Asynchronous Online Modalities” in The Digital World in an Age of Uncertainity: Humanizing Technology for Wellness, Resilience, and Creativity Proceedings of the 2022 Pacific Neighborhood Consortium Annual Conference and Joint Meetings. Jiang Wu, Sophy Shu-jiun, and His-yuan Chen (eds.), pp. 1-8.
- "Devotional Foundations of Earthly Sovereignty: Conceptualizing Sovereignty and the Role of Devotion in Narrative Political Theology in Premodern India" in Religions Vol. 12 No. 11 (2021)
- "Domains of Dasara: Reflections on the Struggle for Significance in Contemporary Mysore" in Nine Nights of Power: Durga, Dolls, and Darbars. Huesken, et al (eds.). Albany, NY: SUNY Press, 2021, pp. 221-248.
- "Tales of Cāmuṇḍā and Uttanahaḷḷi, Fierce Goddesses of Southern Karnataka," in Garland of Forgotten Goddesses: A Sourcebook of Fierce Goddesses in South Asia. Michael Slouber (ed.). Berkeley: University of California Press, 2020, pp. 29-47.
- "Subversive Space: Representations of Space as Articulations of Sovereignty in Colonial Mysore" in Religion Vol. 50 No. 2 (2020).
- "Dynastic Continuity and Election in Contemporary Karnataka Politics" in The Conundrum of Worldly Power: Sovereignty in South Asia. David Gilmartin, Pamela Price, and Arild Ruud (eds.). London: Routledge, 2019, pp. 136-149.
- "History, Heritage, and Myth: Local Historical Imagination in the Fight to Preserve Chamundi Hill" in Worldviews: Global Religions, Culture, and Ecology Vol. 22 No. 3 (Aug 2018), pp. 216-237.
- “Genealogy and Political Change in Imperial Mysore 1645-1704 CE” in Peninsular Musings. M.P. Mujeebu Rehiman (ed.). Kottayam: National Book Stall/Sahitya Pravarthaka Sahakarana Samghom (SPCS), 2018, pp. 128-153.
- “Family, God, and King: Vaṃśāvaḷi as Royalist Literature” in Clio and her Descendents: Essays in Honor of Keshavan Veluthat. Manu Devadevan (ed.). New Delhi: Primus Books, 2018.
- “The King and the Yadu Line: Performing Lineage through Dasara in Nineteenth-Century Mysore” in Nine Nights of the Goddess: Navarātri Festival in South Asia. Caleb Simmons, Moumita Sen, and Hillary Rodrigues (eds.). Albany, NY: SUNY Press, 2018.
- “The Hunt for Noses: Contextualizing Mysore’s Predilection for Nose-Cutting” in Studies in History Vol. 32 No. 3 (August 2016), pp. 162-185.
- “Erotic Grotesque Redemption” in ImageText Vol. 8 No. 1. (Summer 2015).
- “The Goddess and Vaiṣṇavism in Search for Regional Supremacy: Woḍeyar Devotional Traditions During the Reign of Rāja Woḍeyar (1578-1617 CE)” in Indian History Vol. 1 No. 1 (2014), pp. 27-46.
- “Creating Royalty: Identity-Making and the Devotional Images of the Woḍeyars of Mysore” in Archaeology of Bhakti: Royal Bhakti, Local Bhakti. Valerie Gillet, et al (eds.). Paris: Ecole Francaise d’Extreme Orient, 2015. pp. 209-235.
- “Greening the Goddess: Sacred Landscape, History and Legislation on the Cāmuṇḍī Hills of Mysore” in The Changing World Religions Map. Stanley Brunn (ed.). Leiden: Springer Books, 2015. pp. 545-556.
- “The Goddess on the Hill: The (re)Invention of a Local Hill Goddess as Chamundeshvari” in Inventing and Reinventing the Goddess: Contemporary Iterations of the Hindu Goddess on the Move. Sree Padma (ed.). Lanham, MD: Lexington Books, 2014. pp. 217-244.
- “Translating Viṣṇu: Native Intuition and the Construction of Meaning in Rāmāyan 3392 AD and Krishna: A Journey Within" in Journal of Vaishnava Studies Vol. 21 No. 2 (Spring 2013) pp. 195-209.
- “The Graphic Goddess” in Modern Art Asia: Selected Papers. Majella Munro (ed.). London: EnzoArts Publishing, 2012. pp. 262-275.
- “Yes Sir, That’s My Devī: Authority and the Goddess in Nina Paley’s Sita Sings the Blues” in Journal of Vaishnava Studies Vol. 20 No. 1 (Fall 2011), pp. 133-156.
To see Caleb's ePortfolio, scan the QR code.