Applications will be accepted through Monday, May 3, 2021
In 1978, Lionel England “Lee” Rombach donated funds to Religious Studies at the University of Arizona for the purpose of supporting upper-level undergraduates pursuing the study of religion. He endowed this scholarship in memory of his parents, Lambert Rombach and Anna England Rombach. For over forty years, the Rombach Scholarship has been distributed annually to Religious Studies majors to help with their educational expenses. Lee Rombach passed away in 2008, and his legacy continues to benefit Religious Studies majors at the University of Arizona. His obituary can be read here.
In keeping with the spirit of Lee Rombach’s gift to Religious Studies, the department is offering a Spring 2021 student funding opportunity with the Lionel E. Rombach Student Support Scholarship for Religious Studies majors.
THIS SPRING 2021 ROMBACH SCHOLARSHIP CAN SUPPORT THE FOLLOWING:
- Funding to help cover Summer 2021 tuition for enrolling in Religious Studies summer courses.
- Funding to help cover Fall 2021 tuition and other educational expenses.
- Funding to help cover the cost of transitioning to graduate school or other paths after a graduating with the Religious Studies major.
- Funding can be requested to help with other expenses related to completing the Religious Studies major.
To be eligible for this funding, students must meet the following criteria:
- Currently pursuing a Religious Studies major at the University of Arizona.
- Currently in good standing at the University of Arizona, with a minimum 3.0 GPA for the Religious Studies major.
- Will have completed at least three (3) courses for the Religious Studies major (RELI courses other than Tier One) by the end of Spring 2021.
- Planning to enroll in one or more RELI courses in upcoming academic sessions in 2021 in order to make progress toward completing the RELI major OR graduating with a Religious Studies major in 2021.
- Students who have received a Rombach/Bretall scholarship in the past can apply for this Spring 2021 funding opportunity.
To apply for this funding, please submit the following BY THE POSTED APPLICATION DEADLINE:
- Your University of Arizona transcript. It is fine to submit an unofficial transcript.
- A Religious Studies degree completion plan. Please work with faculty advisor Prof. Alison Jameson (email@example.com) to complete this. The degree completion plan form can be downloaded below.
- A 1-2 page statement regarding how these funds will be used. Please describe in detail how these funds will help to support you in completing your Religious Studies major. (For example, through enrolling in a summer course, or helping to pay for tuition in Fall 2021.) If you are graduating, please provide details about how these funds will help with your plans after graduating with a Religious Studies major. At the top of your statement, please include the following:
- your name
- your university email address
- your major(s)
- your expected graduation date
- the Religious Studies courses you will have completed by the end of Spring 2021
To apply, please email the above materials by May 3, 2021 to Marcela Thompson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that funds are limited. The number and size of the awards will be determined by the Department of Religious Studies and Classics after reviewing applications.
Questions? Contact Dr. Karen Seat, Head, Department of Religious Studies & Classics, at email@example.com