Applications will be accepted through Monday, May 3, 2021
In 1978, Lionel England “Lee” Rombach donated funds to Religious Studies at the University of Arizona for the purpose of supporting upper-level undergraduates pursuing the study of religion. He endowed this scholarship in memory of his parents, Lambert Rombach and Anna England Rombach. For over forty years, the Rombach Scholarship has been distributed annually to Religious Studies majors to help with their educational expenses. Lee Rombach passed away in 2008, and his legacy continues to benefit Religious Studies majors at the University of Arizona. His obituary can be read here.
In keeping with the spirit of Lee Rombach’s gift to Religious Studies, the department is offering a second round of Lionel E. Rombach Emergency Scholarship funding for upper-division Religious Studies majors facing challenges in completing their education as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. This scholarship will help support students in completing their Religious Studies major by contributing to their educational expenses at the University of Arizona.
To be eligible for this funding, students must meet the following criteria:
- Currently pursuing a Religious Studies major at the University of Arizona.
- Facing significant financial challenges in completing the major in Religious Studies.
- Currently in good standing at the University of Arizona, with a minimum 3.0 GPA for the Religious Studies major.
- Will have completed at least five (5) Religious Studies courses (half the major) by the end of Spring 2021.
- Planning to enroll in one or more RELI courses in upcoming academic sessions in 2021 in order to make progress toward completing the RELI major.
- Students who have received a Rombach/Bretall scholarship in the past can apply for this funding, if they are facing significant financial challenges.
To apply for this funding, please submit the following BY THE POSTED APPLICATION DEADLINES:
- Your University of Arizona transcript. It is fine to submit an unofficial transcript.
- A Religious Studies degree completion plan. Please work with faculty advisor Prof. Alison Jameson (firstname.lastname@example.org) to complete this. The degree completion plan form can be downloaded below.
- A 1-2 page statement of need. Please describe in detail the financial challenges you are facing, and details regarding how the funds would assist you in completing your Religious Studies major. (For example, through enrolling in a summer course, or helping to pay for tuition in Fall 2021.) At the top of your statement of need, please include the following:
- your name
- your university email address
- your major(s)
- your expected graduation date
- the Religious Studies courses you will have completed by the end of Spring 2021
- (Optional): If available, please do include any documentation of pertinent information showing financial need. For example, please include documentation of Pell Grant eligibility or any other established eligibility for need-based funding.
To apply, please email the above materials by May 3, 2021 to Marcela Thompson at email@example.com.
Please note that funds are limited. The number and size of the awards will be determined by the Department of Religious Studies and Classics after reviewing applications.
Questions? Contact Dr. Karen Seat, Head, Department of Religious Studies & Classics, at firstname.lastname@example.org